Wednesday, February 24, 2010

OPINION WORLD: Sprite Step Off 2010 Winners Are.... ZETA TAU ALPHA?!? *UPDATED*

Google

7 people saying...:

Anonymous said...

I agree with this post 100 percent. It is well-written and effectively addresses key issues without any hostility toward to ZTA. However, they need to get the FUCK back. I was emailed this link a fews day ago and immediately grew angry. The shit they did was only raw cuz they are white and are known to have no soul, which in my opinion is essential to stepping. It would only take a few days to find the video they bit thier show from on youtube. It was probably a group of "fine steppin sorors". They can bite all they want but even if they made up their own steps in my eyes it will alway be a rendition of something already done, a recreation of a better performance. From a performance that is embedded in the sandz crossed by the thousands of BLACK greeks bonded together by spirit for LIFE. So in short FUCK them. Keep having your little March Madness and country line dances and leave our shit alone. Goodnight

Ashley said...

Its so funny that this is coming about now, I recently learned of an "Out and Greek Conference" for the GLBT community thats in their second year..this makes this funny because African American Greeks were not ask nor wanted at this conference...and thats the gay community you know the one thats supposed to be accepting.

Its no secret that our culture is idolized in the white community its no secret that on this and many other occasions our traditions have been "played" down as moments of fun and nothing more but something we need to share while it only increases there statues and lowers ours.
So although i didn't actually see the whole step show and can't comment on who i thought should win performance wise, i can say that after watching there show...they were great...for white girls
DO i think they should have been allowed in the show..no we need to have some things for ourselves we need to protect the little traditions we have and hold sacred the things we believe in because once we "Allow" them in what will we have left but more of their scraps

Ashley said...

oh and to be fair let me add a nice little "too my knowledge" on the end of the first paragraph.

Jessi said...

I just recently watched the 1st airing of the MTV2 special of sprite step off, and I wasn't shocked at all after watching an AKA chpt from the same school as the ZTA say that in the past they have helped the ZTA with their steps and now they are competing in the same step show as them. I always thought that the Sprite Step Off was geared towards the African American sororities and fraternities bcs the winner of the shows are suppose to get a cameo in the movie Stomp the Yard 2, which features the lives of African Americans at ann HBCU. I thought the ZTA did a good job, don't get me wrong, but at the sametime I feel as though they won bcs they are white girls that can step, instead of just being judge solely on the steps and quality of the show.

TSH said...

I agree that I feel like they may have "won" (though recent results show they actually share a first place title) only because they are white women doing something traditionally Black. The part that most upset me was the crowd's reaction to them shaking their asses as if that is sooo exciting. The only excitement is that it is unexpected from a group of white women.

But the question isn't really bout them deserving the title. I feel like with most step shows if there isn't an apparent standout, the winners will always be debated. I find their ability to even enter a contest that directly involves a Black tradition is a problem. They should NOT be allowed to participate in a COMPETITION directly involving Black traditions. Especially a tradition that has long been exclusive to Black Greeks. They can step all they want to for fun, to actually feel comfortable enough to compete, that's a problem. Whoever was responsible for teaching them steps should have made that clear. In my opinion, of course! lol

Anonymous said...

We got president obama n the white house cuz he was good at what he does so some white girls can win a step show if they was good. Its 2010 lol.

Anonymous said...

First of all good article, As a MADE black greek I understand where you are coming from with your frustrations. I thought they did a decent job and to be honest Im not TOO offended (a little curious) on them winning. I think the bigger issue is NPHC and the Divine 9 and what the organizations are doing as a whole. (Gonna get myself in trouble BUT I DONT CARE!!!) WE AS NPHC Greeks have let MONEY overun TRADITION!!! I really wanna meet the people in each organization that turned something so sacred into a business (THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!) Granted you can't be out here hazing all willy nilly, but when our traditions are "watered down" what do expect? When Black Greeks let people (that wanna be Greek) emulate Greek life and have crossing jackets and names WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??? WHY THE HELL ARE DANCE TEAMS HAVING CROSSING JACKETS AND GREEKS THINKING THAT SHIT IS OK??? Why do Greeks constantly put each other down instead of lifting each other up and support them. My experience was GREAT until the last 2 years at my old school, it was at that point I realized damn people ain't what they used to be. So when this ZTA whens a step show I'm not surprised because I feel people are not taking care of business already. Maybe I come from a different mentality, but at the end of the day people shouldn't have been surprised because alot of people have been "SKATING" and not working. Greeks should STOP bragging (about shit they probably didn't do anyways) and put their foot down. THAT IS ALL LOL!!!

Post a Comment

Converted By Free Blogger Help. Get More Blogger Templates